Thursday, December 11, 2014

Twist of Fate



                                                                                                                           

                               



Twist of Fate

I woke up to a blurry image of people standing above me. I didn't know where I was. I looked around and saw a nurse who looked as if she had been running around. My vision began to be less fuzzy and I realized that I was in a hospital room. I looked around and saw that I had balloons and stuffed animals all around me. I didn't have any memory of what happened or why I was here.The doctor came into the room.
“Are you Brooklyn Nicole?” he said.
“Yes”, I said hesitantly
“Well you're very lucky to be alive”, he said
                                 3 days before
It was Brooklyns 17th birthday and she was getting ready for school when her brother rushed into her room and told her to look outside, she rushed to the window. As she pulled the curtain back she saw a bright yellow convertible sitting in her driveway. It sparkled in the sun like a diamond. She turned around and gave her brother the biggest squeeze. She sniffed the air and smelt the smell of bacon and pancakes. She ran downstairs and saw her mom plop a big pancake on her plate. She ate it as fast as she could and ran out the door. When she got to school, she was greeted by her best friend, who had a big present. She opened it up and inside was a friendship necklace from Tiffany's and some candy.
The bell rang, and she dropped the present and ran to class. The day was great,and when she got home her mom told her that she could choose where they were going to eat dinner, so she chose Olive Garden. As they got closer to the restaurant, she saw that there were lots of cars, and thought it would take forever for them to get a table.  They walked in,only to find that they already reserved a table for the family. They walked in the back of the restaurant and was greeted with a, “SURPRISE!” from her family and friends. She smiled and look at her parents in shock, she never thought that they would be able to surprise her. They ate dinner and opened presents and headed out.

Two days later
Two days following my birthday had been a little rough. Now looking at where I live and how many friends I have you would never guess that I would have problems with the whole bully issue,but you guessed wrong. I don't really understand why people have such a hatred towards me, but they do. I am use to it, so I can usually handle it, but this time it got way out of hand. I started cutting about a year ago, until I realized that it was not good for me, and I stopped.The only thing that kept me going was music, I could have ended my life right then and there. I knew that I had to tell my friends about it, but I didn't know how they would feel about it.
The response I got from them is not what I expected. I figured that they would be supportive,  but I guess I was wrong. I was really hurt by what they, said and it caused me to start again. I thought they were my friends,but it’s very clear to me that wernt. I went to therapy for my cutting but it didn't help, I still felt alone and trapped in a world that I don't belong in. I felt unwanted and used and like I had no purpose left.
One day I overdosed and took too many pills, and my boyfriend at the time was coming over to hang out, he found me passed out on the ground and called 911. Of course I didn’t remember anything that happened, but he told me once I woke up. The part that you read at the beginning, yep that was when I overdosed. So time went on, and things got better. Until I was a junior in high school, then it hit me. I was diagnosed with brain cancer. I went through treatment, and it slowly got better, and by the time I was a senior it was gone.
I never felt like anyone should know but of course in high school news spreads like wildfire, and everyone felt bad for me, but I didn't want them to feel like that, I wanted to be treated like I wasn't sick. I tried to hide it, but after I lost my hair people kind of started to figure it out. Cancer was just another struggle. Finally I got married to Brad and we had two kids, I thought that the struggle was over, that I could live my life the way I wanted, but I should have known better than that.
The cancer came back this time and it hit me like a ton of bricks, and it was hard on me and my family, but Brad always kept me positive and assured me that we would get through this, but I always had the thought in the back of mine that I didn't want to think about, but it’s always there. The chemo was hard on me and my family. The kids couldn't understand why mommy got up in the middle of the night, or why Grandma would be at the house in the morning. Why they had to spend nights at the hospital sleeping on benches or why they missed their mom tucking them into bed. It also wasn't fair to Brad, because I wasn't there being the wife for him that i wanted to be. Just when I thought that  I was at my highest point…………..

Brooklyn died a week later, Brad was crushed and the kids were too young to understand, but after Brad told them that mom was never coming back they pretty much figured it out. Her legacy lived on and will always forever.




No comments:

Post a Comment

We're glad that you want to comment! Before you do so, please remember that we are eighth graders who are learning to write. If your comment is going to be encouraging or constructive, please share it. If your comment is neither, please keep it to yourself.