Friday, May 22, 2015

March PPOW

Never Ending


I don’t remember where I was or how I got here. I was in a tunnel with little light. There was a rusty old cage in front of me; its lock had been broken. Suddenly, I heard a screech that sounded very close.
I stopped moving, breathing; everything just stopped. Something walked past me. It was large and black. It resembled a spider that had eaten one to many flies. I let out my breath a little louder than I’d expected.
The thing turned around. I began running the other way. I ran as fast as I could, and the thing followed close behind. I had to lose this thing. I rounded the corner, and it followed. I kept turning, and it stayed near. I had begun to tire out. If I didn’t find a way out, I’d be toast. I kept going.
I rounded the next corner tricking the thing into turning the other way. There was a red light at the end of the tunnel. I sprinted as fast as I could; it was a door. Looking at the door, I tripped over a pipe on the ground, and my foot got stuck underneath. I yelled in pain realizing I had broken my foot.
The thing heard me. It turned around and ran towards me. I twisted and turned finally getting my foot out. I crawled to the door and grabbed the handle twisting it. The door clicked and I pushed it open.
As I crawled through the opening, relief flooded over me. Then the thing grabbed my broken foot pulling me back. I resisted, kicked, and yelled. My shoe was starting to come loose and I was losing my grip. My shoe came free and I went flying through the door.
There wasn’t a floor on the other side. I plummeted into nothingness. After a few seconds, I began to lose conciseness. I felt my eyes get heavy; I didn’t even have time to scream before I blacked out.
 I woke in a small room that resembled a hospital, but this was different. The walls were round and brown. The ceiling came to a point with many ridges. It also had an old moldy smell.
A few minutes later, a girl in a white lab coat entered the room. She had a clipboard in her hand and she was checking some things off. She walked over to the bed and looked at me with a smile.
“How are you feeling?” she questioned.
“Fine,” I replied.
“I am Anna by the way. You are Katy with a y, correct?” she asked.
I nodded. We talked for a while and I told her all about what happened in the tunnels. She explained how I had dropped from the sky blacked out.
“Some of the creatures had thought you were a bird,” Anna chuckled.
Creatures? What did she mean by that. I wanted to know when I could leave, and she told me around noon tomorrow.
“Your foot is healed and you can stay at the hotel down the road for a while. See you tomorrow,” she stated and turned to leave.

I looked up to say goodbye and caught a glimpse of a tail dragging on the ground. That was weird. I decided it was nothing and went to bed.
The next day I woke up to Anna walking through the door.
“Good morning Katy! I hoped you slept well because you are coming with me so I can show you the town!” she exclaimed. “I’ll be outside if you need me,” she said leaving the room.
I got up and got dressed in the jeans and a tank top that were sitting on the chair next to me. I walked out of the door and went over to her. She did have a tail, how?
“You have a tail?” I asked.
“Don’t you love it? It took me forever to brush it out,” she wined.
I nodded and kept walking with her. As I looked around the town, I noticed all sorts of crazy people. There were frogs, pigs, and even fairies. There were more to that list, but I was taking in everything. Then I noticed something falling from the sky. I pointed to it and she looked.
I suddenly realized that it was the thing. The door hadn’t closed when I fell through; it must have come after me. Oh no!
“Lisa,” growled a voice.
I looked up from my book and everyone was staring at me.
“Yes?” I asked.
“You do know that free reading time is over, right? I’m sorry to stop you, but we must continue with class,” Mr. Mathews explained.

I put the book in my bag and listened to the lecture about daydreaming.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We're glad that you want to comment! Before you do so, please remember that we are eighth graders who are learning to write. If your comment is going to be encouraging or constructive, please share it. If your comment is neither, please keep it to yourself.